Wednesday 29 June 2011

Hampi

Sorry for the delay in blogging, just laziness on my part I guess.  This housewife thing is keeping me really busy these days.  :) 

A couple of weekends ago, we headed out to Hampi.  It is a place that has ruins from a kingdom back in the 1500s.  We took the overnight train.  It left Bangalore at 9 pm getting to Hampi at 6:30 am.  It was interesting to say the least.  Here is a picture of our first class A/C sleeper cabin:


As you may be able to tell, not exactly our expectation of first class.  It was very basic and kinda dirty.  The toilets are separated into Indian style vs. Western so I thought I was going to be ok.  Not the case and were deemed unusable by myself which led for a long ride.  The toilet is just a glorified outhouse with the hole going all the way down to the track which was filthy.  They have made a new rule in India that you are not allowed to use the toilet while in station due to the growing smell of fecal matter on the tracks. 

Our cabin mates were a middle aged woman and her elderly mother.  We were lost for words, as at one point in time, their entire family it felt like was also in our little cabin eating supper.  I think we counted 10 people at one time.  They sat in and around Ryan and I on our side.  I know it is suprising but we were speachless.  They didn't ask, they just sat and touched us and were super comfortable.  We honestly didn't know what to do, just kept reading our books and giving each other looks.  We weren't even offered any food! 

Hampi itself was great.  Really well preserved ruins.  My favorite was the elephant stables:


And these cows on some temple stairs licking Ryan, lol:  I think it must be good luck since cows are so sacred here.


A couple more pics of the ruins for you:





I took tonnes more so if you want to see them all, check out facebook, I will post the trip.

We went for lunch at this really neat restaurant and I had a traditional Indian plate.  It comes with rice and naan and a mixture of sauces to eat with them. 


The train ride home was much better.  We just so happened to be in a cabin with an expat couple, Sandra and Tim from England.  I play tennis with Sandra a couple times a week so we know them quite well and knew that they would be in Hampi that weekend but never expected to run into them but were we ever happy to see them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment