Wednesday 16 March 2011

Hyper City

I had our driver Venkatesh take me to Hyper City today.  It was 40 minute drive from our hotel into the suburbs of Bangalore.  It is a glorified Walmart.  I felt like I was selling out by being there but I finally ended up getting my groceries. :)  I might end up back out here again once we move into our apartment to get anything and everything that I might need.  But I am determined to find a place to get the basic food items close enough to walk to.  Another day another story. 


This is Venkatesh our driver:



He made the drive worthwhile, pointing out different things on the way.  We got to know each other pretty well.  He has been married 9 years and has 2 kids (boy and girl) and is shocked that I have been married for 7 years and do not have any children.  His exact words were: 'but why, madam?'  It did not make any sense to him that we would not have any.  His kids are in exams right now as the summer vacation for school kids is April and May as that is the hottest part of the year.  He asked if our marriage was arranged as that might be the reason that we wouldn't have any kids. When I said that no it wasn't, he volunteered that his marriage is arranged.  He met his wife 3 months prior to their wedding and they had an engagement period for that time.  Odd concept to comprehend.  I asked him how the arrangment was made. It was his family that heard that she was available and they made it happen.  Venkatesh is very proud that his wife does not have to work and is a housewife.  He has a one bedroom apartment and very proudly pointed out that he has an attached bathroom. (I guess all places don't have a bathroom in them)  He pays 3000 Rupees a month on rent which is equivalent to 65 CAD dollars.  It puts into percepective the huge discrepancies here between classes.

Happy that I have some food in my kitchen for the weekend, even though most of you know that I don't do much cooking! ;)

1 comment: